Saturday, August 15, 2009

Spurts of patriotism

Am putting up this post as i desperately want to do something in memory of independence day..though it is a bit late and other duties called me.Travelling 12 hrs to chennai on a rickety old bus on D-day finally & ploppin into the bed all tired and visiting all dear relatives the next day prevented me from putting up this article on independence day..
Independence day by this generation is frankly just another holiday...and my brother deeply regrets tat next yr its gonna fall on the weekend..But present day youth are not totally responsible for this.There is lack of inspiration around us..Patriotism for indians come alive sadly only during cricket matches..

I basically hail from small town hearing stories about independence struggles from one of my grannies..May be i was one of the very few interested so much in history tat i will eagerly listen to the antha kaalathu kadhais..In reward of one such listening sessions granny gave me a khadhi flag which they hoisted on 1947 though it is one of the chota versions.I was really really pleased in getting my own flag as each independence day my opposite door neighbours used to hoist the triranga.Tat year that is 5 yrs back..On THE day ram and i marched to the terrace taking with us an old curtain rod..We fitted it within the pipes and whoa..we finally raised our flag..The only glitch tat year was that we didnt bring down the flag on sunset..The flag was comfortably forgotten and recovered after 2 days by a fellow neighbour.
Next year we improvised the system..We made sweets called neighbours and our chief guest hoisting the flag tat yr was my maternal grandmother who dropped in 4 a visit.

Then we moved to our apts and then i moved to coll..We have a regularised system 4 flag hoisting with the apt elders taking care of it.So we dont interfere..So life goes on with mere spurt display of patriotism though deep inside there is a fierce pride of being born in this blessed land of mine..JAI HIND.

4 comments:

  1. I remember you used to go for the Gandhi exams at Gandhi museum long back. Isn't it "The story of my life" -by M.K.Gandhi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. true..true!
    You should have actually put the photograph of your own flag in your own terrace...for this blog.

    That would have been a real spurt display!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Silence(@ above :P ) Stock photo- bad option for blog images.! Make it personalized yaar!!
    Awesome to know that u celebrate D-day the way I wanna,but sadly,don't!

    ReplyDelete